Wednesday 19 June 2013

Nailene Calcium Gel Kit

Of the three products Nailene sent me, the Calcium Gel Kit was the one I was most excited about. However, it is also the one I was most disappointed with.

The kit comes with a 5gram bottle of Gel Overlay, a 7mL bottle of Gel Activator, a dropper, some false tips and a 2 sided buffer. How you apply it is very different for a 'gel' kit, as you need no UV or LED light. I found it very weird after having used proper gel. It is a very easy process though. Two layers of the Gel Overlay, and then 1-2 drops of the Gel Activator on top and let it dry for 2-5 mins. The instructions do say you can go back over and do another layer or two to strengthen.

Here's how my nails look with the Gel kit on the top hand and nothing on the bottom:

You can't see a huge difference (other than the staining :/), just that my nails are shiny. This photo I have on just 2 coats of the Overlay on.




So far so good right? Weeeeell... I've tried this product 3 times in 3 different ways on myself, and once on someone else and every time the same thing has happened. The longest I've been able to keep these on so far was about a day and a half. It makes my nails ACHE. My nails become incredibly sore when I have the Gel Kit on. I don't know why, how, or what would cause this. Its very strange. For the first few hours it's fine, but then it starts. It feels like pressure is being put on my smile line (where the free edge meets the nail bed) and I can't touch my nails without pain. I tried to ignore it when I left it on for the longest, but the pain got a bit too much and I had to remove them. Also, I looked at my nails while wearing the Overlay, and my c-curve (the curve of the nail) was flattening out! This is strange, because my nails are quite curved.

So, I'll give you my likes and dislikes, because it's not ALL bad!

What I liked:
  • Easy application
  • Quick dry time
  • Gel-like nails without needing a lamp! 
  • Easy removal- comes off with the good old foil method! 
  • Resonably priced. This kits is $22.99
  • It's a creative idea! 
What I didn't like:
  • Everything in the last paragraph.
  • The 'Gel Overlay' looks, feels, smells and applies like nail glue. 
  • Using the dropper can be a bit messy. I point my fingers downwards over a paper towel and drop onto the cuticle end of my nail, letting it run down.
I have incredibly mixed feelings about this product. I like it, I do, but because I am yet to have a successful experience with it on my own nails or someone elses, I can't say I'll be using it again.

Until Next Time!

<3 Bec

  *the products mentioned in this post were sent to me for my honest review. This in no way affects my opinion of them*

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every single comment I get, and while I may not reply, I always read them. Please do not leave links to blogs/advertising in a comment, this is not what my blog is for.

Thank you